Friday, March 12, 2010

Bruce Gilden...what do you think?

I saw this video today...and until today, I have never heard of this photographer...Bruce Gilden. As I was watching this video and Bruce's approach...I almost fell out of my seat. I thought that one lady, at the beginning of the video, was going to have a heart attack! Regardless, when I was done watching it, I wasn't sure how to digest this thing. As the night progressed...I realized something - this man takes his trade VERY SERIOUS...and that I do respect.

It's kind of funny, because if I tried to pull off something like this, it would be totally unethical...but when I watch him do it...it seems fine...and I'm ok with it. He's doing it from some where deep within...he's trying to find something there...so I guess that's not so unethical. Goes to show how ethics are sometimes...just depends on your perspective...where you're coming from. Check out this video...what do you think?

By the way...google Bruce Gilden...get some info on him...pretty cool...

2 comments:

Rachael Shepherd said...

wow. Thanks for sharing. I envy that guy. I'd be petrified to do that but I love his shots. maybe one day I'll have the guts!

Christy Whitehead said...

I have never seen that photographer in my life, this is how I see it, both as a portrait photographer, journalist and a person.

1-If he's doing that for his own PERSONAL use (not for display in a gallery or to sell) then it's just a bit rude to flash the light in someone's face (especially so close up), but not necessarily unethical, etc.

2-If he were doing this for a gallery exhibit or to sell the prints, then he is taking advantage of these people on the street, without asking permission, for his own gain. What if one of those photos became controversial, for example, there was a lawsuit where someone photographed a couple on the beach and didn't ask permission and the photo was later sold to an ad company. Well the man on the beach was recognizable in the photo and sued for invasion of privacy, he was on vacation with his lover, not his wife.

The same could be said if you were overweight and someone snapped your photo and used it in an ad about weight loss drugs and your friends and family could recognize you. If you didn't authorize that photo, that could be VERY hurtful and is the grounds for a lawsuit.

Even if it wasn't an ad, if a photo was in a gallery and some controversy turned up about it, well...

3-From a journalist perspective, it is perfectly ethical. IF he was doing a story on the people of Manhattan, or similar. Journalists, do not have to stop and ask permission to take a photo on a public street--if they did it would be hard to cover the news. (Think about it a murder suspect says he doesn't want his photo in the newspaper, well then everyone in town would have NO idea who the murderer is that is possibly living next door.)