Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lifestyle?

This is a pretty long post...if you don't feel like reading it...scroll down and watch the video. If you got time...read away!

Lately I've had a few photographers ask me how I do my shoots...or more specifically, how do I do LIFESTYLE photo shoots...how do I get my "clients" to do the things you see in my images?

First, I think we need to all ask Bruce Weber or Ben Watts this question. To me, those are the masters of lifestyle photography...my work is novice in comparison! But to answer your question, I think it comes from my background in Social Work.

In Social Work, for any progress to be made, you have to establish rapport. If you have rapport, then you have TRUST...and TRUST is the key factor! This is especially true in photography in general. When your working with families or couples...or in other words, "normal" people (I also do lifestyle shoots with models or actors...and those are much "easier" or simple) you have to gain their trust...they have to know that having them play with their kids on the grass is going to look fantastic! So RAPPORT is king in this issue!

But you have to have concepts. See, a lot of photographers come to shoots with poses in mind...for me, it's CONCEPTS. These concepts come from real life experiences, music videos, movies/documentaries, photojournalism, and looking at other lifestyle photographer's work...(yes, like most, I do that too... just add your own twist). So when I show up to a shoot, I have a little paper in my pocket that reads, "running shot" or "taking pictures of each other" or "flirting on bench" or "chasing bus" or "baking cookies with daughter." I'll have like 20 or so concepts...but I also keep my mind open for other possibilities that might pop-up on the field...I kind of keep it free-form.

Let me start another paragraph...it might make it easier to read. And then, while I'm shooting, I keep my eyes in the view finder trying to capture a real moment! So, if I say to a couple, "embrace and flirt"...I know I have to be patient. The first click isn't going to be the money shot...I wait...and wait...click, click...and then all of the sudden they start laughing...giggling... and kissing...it's all spontaneous and ORGANIC - it's THEM! These are the keepers! This is also something we use in Social Work...it's called silence. If you're a parent...try it on your kid. When they've done something wrong...and you question them...and they don't respond quick enough...and then you usually jump in and give some sort of a lecture...well, don't do that...be silent...let it get uncomfortable...and watch...the truth will come out...or they'll put their foot in their mouth...and if that doesn't work...you have one STUBBORN kid! Point is, give your "client" space...back off...and watch the sparks. It's way better than telling them to move their head or arm a little...(at least I think so)...

Here's a shoot I posted a few days ago...THE ENTIRE SHOOT...Motion by Steven. Most of the images are in their natural state (SOOC)...you'll be able to tell which one's made the cut...the first cut, at least.

This shoot will give you an idea of me actually inputting my concepts...and trying them...and trying them. And you'll see...some of them are complete failures...and only a few are keepers! Oh...and before I forget, I think Lifestyle photography, in general, likes a 50mm or 35mm lens...sometimes being too wide (i.e. 17mm) takes the attention away from the subject...but then again, it depends what type of Lifestyle you are incorporating in your shot...enjoy!

Music by Beastie Boys - "Sabotage"
And by the way, that was 540 pictures...I hope I didn't hurt your eyes!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Awesome! you are such a great teacher!!!! -Kelli

Steven said...

Ez,
See? It really WAS the Sabotage shoot! :) That was made of all kinds of win (especially the buses "go, go NOW!").

Great fun, we really do have to do it again sometime.

-S