Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jay-Z & Warren Buffett

So I was reading Nick Onken's Blog (which I recommend all photographers to check out)...and he dropped a linkto a video interview with Jay-Z & Warren Buffett. It's a pretty good interview...and some insightful messages worth listening too.

That's my preface.

I love Hip-Hop. I grew-up with it...my older brothers listened to it...so I listened to it...(and I'm talking about Newcleus, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, LL Cool J, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc...)! And as I got into my teens, I still loved the music. They spoke a language that I could relate to...they expressed ideas & feelings that aren't supposed to be expressed publicly (and the rebel in me loved it). Additionally, if the music didn't have you thinking, then you were smiling (Hip-Hop has a carefree vibe to it at times).

And then in the late 90's I got hooked on Reggae (and mostly because Hip-Hop went in another direction). Reggae is great...the message is strong...and the vibes just catch you and keep you!

Now as of late, some of my favorite Hip-Hop artists like Common, Q-Tip, Nas, & the Roots have recently dropped albums that have brought my heart back to the music of my youth. They have a message that I can relate to. So this goes back to the Jay-Z interview...he stated that a lot of artists go with the new thing...the trend. In his case, he keeps it real...real to his situation in his present life...hence, a 33 year old man, like myself, can relate to the music. So it's neat...for the first time in Hip-Hop we're seeing a group of guys who previously targeted a very young market, now marketing to 28-40 something year olds. To me that's pretty damn impressive and makes me so happy...I wanted to love Hip-Hop again...and I can!

God forbid this ever happens...enjoy the visuals (photographically speaking)...

No comments: