Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hip-Hop goes to the White House...

It's crazy thinking Hip-Hop was hardly ever played on the radio when I was growing up (unless you were in NYC). Really...I had to stay up super late on a Saturday to listen to Mad Linx on some community radio station...88.5 WMNF! And believe me, I had the cassette tape in the deck...recording!
It was sometime in the early 90's that I heard (and recorded) Common's Soul By the Pound on WMNF (thank you Mad Linx). Common was pretty obscure then...but not anymore...it blows my mind away to see a Hip-Hop artist joking and having a good time with the President (1:31 minute mark)...who would have ever thought this day would come?

And by the way, Mad Linx was so nice to let me be a guest on his radio show back in 1996...I was talking about how I was going to college to study Communications...and I wanted to go into radio. After two years of studying communications, I switched my major to Social Work...but I still have a minor Speech Communication...nothing goes as planned?

No comments: