Friday, October 23, 2009

Latino Project #1: Judy Galindo - Hola Noticias!

Hopefully this will be the first of many. I'm working on a personal project. My goal is photograph at least 40 working Latinos in Jacksonville. So hopefully, this will be the first of many.

Let me try to quickly explain my motivation. It started a few years ago while working for the Neighborhood Partnership for Protection of Children. Working there I quickly realized how many Latinos were working in the Social Services profession here in Jacksonville. As a matter of fact, my supervisor was Mexican! As I thought deeper about this, I realized that my father, who is also Mexican, served in the military (even went to Vietnam)...and had been working over 30 years with Chicago Public Schools. Then I thought even deeper and noticed my mother, who is from Puerto Rico, worked for HRS (DCF). My mother worked for a program called Project Independence - she helped the unemployed find jobs. So after these deep thoughts, I marveled how my parents and many friends came from different lands...and settled here in the United States...and furthermore, they chose a profession to help others in need. This made me proud. So these thoughts from a few years back + my photography = this personal project!

Today, the project starts with Judy Galindo. Judy is the Editor-in-Chief for the newspaper, Hola Noticias. She founded Hola Noticias in Jacksonville in 2004. Judy is originally from Colombia. She has a degree in Journalism. The newspaper's goals are to offer news that is relevant to the reader and to link the readers to resources. Here's a few pictures. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Oeil Photography said...

found you through Tara-Trigger Happy, beautiful work!

im latina (100% Mexican) but uhh I dont think I'd make a good model! LOL