Thursday, February 18, 2010

Motion...by Curtis...

I could make this blog entry like 5 blog posts...but I won't...or at least I'll try to condense it.

First...I know it might be kind of ironic (especially after watching this video) that I'm a wedding and family photographer. But it shouldn't be. I'm married...I have kids...hence, I have family...so weddings and family work is right up my alley! But I do see where the irony comes in...so let me explain a little about me...I'm a little radical...I've always been. It's part of my genetic make-up...and the environment I grew-up in. Let's just say that if I didn't have this little rebel side to me, I would still be sitting in my old office from 9 to 5...and I would have never picked up a camera...ever!

Second...photoshoots are not so glamorous. It's a lot of work...and not every shot is golden...especially when you're dealing with running, flipping, and flying people. Plus, I laid down on the ground in that nasty tunnel like underpass (yes, Jax natives, that's Myrtle Ave.)...gross!

Third...focusing on fast moving objects is not an easy task for cameras...especially when it's dark! There's various techniques...but when people are moving real fast...I'm not so sure. So this is what I do...I have the subject stand in the place they will be jumping or running through...or by. Then I manually focus on them. And then I stay as still as possible. I wait...and then the subject runs, jumps, grabs walls...or whatever crazy thing we can come up with. Sometimes the subject hits the spot perfect...sometimes they don't...sometimes my flash doesn't recycle quick enough, hence why some shots were dark...blah...it happens...

Fourth...a quote I found on twitter: "Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams

Fifth...enjoy this video/slideshow...turn your speakers down...just warning you...I didn't think Beethoven or Jack Johnson were the right fit for this one...sorry....loud music instead...that's the rebel in me...

Thanks Curtis...this is definitely one of my coolest shoots to date!

5 comments:

Oeil Photography said...

This is sick dawg!!hehe

really cool stuff

Dani said...

cool! I love the wall flip photos, you were brave to take some from underneath :P

Anonymous said...

Finally got to watch the video with the sound up. Really awesome shots and nicely put together. For some reason, I just have this urge to get up and start running now. Hrmmm???

So tell me...how many photos did you take during this shoot and how many are in the video? Just curious!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for the compliments...Judi, I took about 350 shots...I think...maybe 315...???

Mariana said...

SO cool!!! Love it! It is awesome to get some excitement and different type of photography under our belt. I think you did a phenomenal job capturing this awesome guy's skills and talent!
Like the video too!

All my best,
Mariana | Kismis Ink Photography